We invited legendary Architect, Prof. Will Alsop OBE RA to deliver lectures in Christchurch, Wellington, Auckland, and Sydney. He did, and it was exceptional.
Will introduced his extraordinary body of work to date plus touched on a few of his current projects, one of which is larger than Palmerston North!
Will is humble. Accolades and eccentric geometry aside, Will is perhaps most proud of the positive impact his projects have on people and the communities in which they live and work, evidenced by measurable metrics like increased tourism, citizen pride, building visitor numbers, etc.
New Zealand could do with an Alsop building or two, right?
If you agree can you please think of a way to get Will a commission in NZ. Realistically it’ll be a minimum $20M project, probably in partnership with a local practice. Let me know if you have a suitable project and I’ll put you in touch with Will.
- GIB and Resene for sponsoring the lecture tour.
- Barnaby, Jessica, and Ceciel at Te Pūtahi – Christchurch centre for architecture and city-making for the tour of Christchurch
- Guy, James, and Vanessa from the Wellington NZIA local chapter for helping to organise the Wellington lecture and providing the hospitality.
- Phil for the tour of Ath’s house and offices.
- Jean, Susan, and Ludo from Auckland Conversations / Auckland Council for organising the Auckland lecture, venue, hospitality, etc.
- Echo and team from Studio One Toi Tū for hosting the Auckland workshop
- Nat from Cheshire Architects for organising the Britomart tour.
- Simon and team from RDT Pacific for hosting the Auckland post-lecture feast.